Some time ago I put together a playlist for those times when love strikes. Strikes out, I mean. But what about those times when life’s awesome and you feel on top of the world? C’mon, you must have felt like that at some point or another, like that one time, right before all those White Russians hit and knocked you out for the rest of the night. Or when you found out about your 20 consecutive Basque last names, that glorious day when you realized people’s Basqueness rose by 1/3 just standing next to you at Starbucks during the morning rush. Doesn’t that deserve a playlist?
2. Don’t stop me now (Queen) – Because the Lions are planning on a replay next week.
3. I’m sexy and I know it (LMFAO) – This is one of those days where you rock every single piece of clothing you try on, even that tight leather dress from the Pleasure Boutique.
4. I know you want me (Pitbull) – I’m more of a Scottie dog type of gal, but I wouldn’t mind this puppy barking up my tree.
5. I like it (Enrique Iglesias/Pitbull) – More people barking up each other’s trees, looking forward to a very good time. What? Are you saying they’re both already in relationships with other people? Shocking!
6. Ezan ozenki (Negu Gorriak) – Not sporting a mile long list of Basque last names doesn’t mean you can’t be Basque and proud of it.
7. Hoy puede ser un gran día (Miguel Ríos, Victor Manuel, Serrat and Ana Belén) – This song works both ways, but it’s especially uplifting when you feel awesome in the first place.
8. Gogoak (Esne Beltza) – Because today you will finally get the courage to tell him/her how you really feel about them.
9. Hello Hello (Elton John) – Hopefully this is the reply you get after sharing your feelings. But if it’s not, it’s ok, because today nothing is going to bring you down.
10. Prest (Gatibu) – Because today you are up for anything. Today you’re a go getter. Today you’ll make it happen.
11. Vuelvo a traficar (Melendi) – And if everything else fails, here’s to utter optimism. Being a drug dealer never sounded so good.
12. Mujer florero (Ella baila sola) – Because we don’t have to put up with this chauvinistic shit anymore. I’m sorry for those women in 1953 Spain.
13. El Rey (Vicente Fernández) – As long as you have yourself, who needs validation from the rest of the world?
14. The Bitch Is Back (Tina Turner) – This doesn’t work for me because I never leave. But it might work for you.
15. Voy a pasármelo bien (Hombres G) – T.G.I.F!
16. Amante bandido (Miguel Bosé) (Bonus Track by Miren Maguregui’s special request) – When #8 is not bold enough for you.
- I heard it on KBOI…
- News from the Basque Museum and Cultural Center, Boise