Not so long ago I wrote about why I love Boise’s Basque Center, our cultural center featuring a public bar and rental venue for the Basque community as well as the general public. In my opinion, it is the one place above all others within our Basque community that keeps us united, regardless of age, gender, and town of origin.
Now, the Euzkaldunak Basque Center is seeking an artist to create a new logo for the heart of our Boise area Basque community.
A little history
The Euzkaldunak Basque Center is a 3-story building that resides in Downtown Boise, Idaho on the historic Basque block. The Basque Center was built in 1949 and is a gathering place for Basque people in the area. We help maintain our heritage by supporting Basque dancing, events and gatherings.
The Center acts as the primary home for our two dancing groups, Boiseko Gazteak, and the Oinkari Basque Dancers. The Center is also home for a Basque music group, Txantxangorriak, which plays traditional music at many of the Basque festivals. Annually we hold tournaments for two traditional Basque card games.
The Basque Center hosts several events throughout the year such as San Inazio in July, a typical Basque street festival. In December we hold a Sheepherder’s Ball Dinner and Dance to help raise money for our Basque Charities account, which allows us to help individuals and families in need throughout the year.
Gatherings also include membership monthly dinners that run from August through May.
How to submit
If you are feeling up to the challenge and would like to go down in history as the cool person who designed Boise’s Basque Center logo, here are the steps to get you there:
To submit your artwork, please email files to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- First Name, Last Name
- Address City/State/Zip
- Optional: Artist Bio (one paragraph limit) & website if applicable
- Logo should embody the Euzkaldunak’s proud past, bright future and to cultivate Basque culture.
- Logo will be used on websites, various printed materials, signage, and other publications. The logo should be effective in both grayscale and color. Overall design should be limited to a maximum of four colors with a workable grayscale adaptation.
- Submit up to 3 concepts in PDF format.
- The winning logo needs to be provided in PDS and EPS format with associated font files included. Pantone matched colors appreciated.
- By submitting the winning design, you recognize that the Euzkaldunak Basque Center will own the design and all associated rights.
- Use of any copyrighted logos, fonts or slogans that require a license to reproduce will disqualify your submission.
May 8, 2013: submission deadline of 1-3 concepts in PDF or EPS format. Euzkaldunak (Basque Center) board will select the 3 most effective designs and vote on their favorite.
The winning artist will be notified by email and highlighted on our Facebook page and the monthly newsletter. The new logo will appear on the website as soon as it is completed. The winning artist will be credited for the new design and the Euzkaldunak Basque Center board will introduce the new logo.
The winning artist will receive:
- Fame and glory
- Recognition for your donation through a media blast
- $150 honorarium